My friend Steve-Anna recently sent me this wonderful recipe for ginger chicken and claimed that it was one of her all time favorites. My father doesn’t eat ginger if he can avoid it, so when I made it I just warned dad ahead of time that he might have to settle for yesterday’s leftovers if he couldn’t bring himself to touch it. Well, everyone loved it, even dad. Strips of boneless, skinless chicken breasts are briefly marinated in ground coriander, ground ginger, vinegar and oil, then they are stir-fried with scallions and julienned ginger. They are mixed with a little mango chutney and sprinkled with toasted almonds before serving. The whole dish can be made in half an hour, especially if you do a lot of the prep while the chicken is marinating.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/2 - 2 lbs. total)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger plus ¼ cup julienned fresh ginger (see How to Peel, Chop, and Grate Ginger)
- 4 teaspoons canola oil or rice bran oil (or other high smoke point oil)
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch*
- 1/2 teaspoond kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 large scallions (or 6 small), trimmed
- 1/2 cup mango chutney, large pieces chopped
- 1/4 cup chicken broth**
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
*Including a little cornstarch in the chicken marinade is traditional in many asian dishes. The cornstarch helps keep the chicken pieces from drying out when cooked. You can skip it if you want, but the chicken will be more tender if you use it.
**If cooking gluten-free, use homemade stock or gluten-free packaged broth.
1 Slice chicken crosswise into ½-inch-thick pieces. Whisk the ground coriander, grated ginger, 2 teaspoons of the oil, vinegar, corn starch, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl, making sure there are no lumps of corn starch. Add the chicken and marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
2 Thinly slice white parts of scallions. Julienne green parts; set aside.
3 Stir together chutney, broth, and garlic in a small bowl.
4 Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites and julienned ginger; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry until thoroughly cooked, 4 to 6 minutes. Add scallion greens and chutney mixture; cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
Transfer to shallow bowls with hot cooked rice (or without rice, for low-carb version). Sprinkle with toasted almond slices and serve.