Potato Leek Soup
Potato leek soup is so easy to make and delicious too. This recipe can be prepared in 40 minutes or less.
- 3 large leeks, cut lengthwise, separate, clean. Use only the white and pale green parts, chop. (See How to Clean Leeks)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)*
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- Marjoram - dash
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Tabasco sauce or other red chili sauce
- Salt & Pepper
*If cooking gluten-free, be sure to use gluten-free broth.
1 Cook leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a medium sized sauce pan. Cover pan, cook on low heat for 10 minutes. Check often. Do not brown the leeks.
2 Add water, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a low simmer and cook for 20 minutes. Scoop about half of the soup mixture into a blender, puree and return to pan. Add marjoram, parsley, and thyme. Add a few dashes of chili sauce to taste. Add some freshly ground pepper, 1-2 teaspoons salt or more to taste.