Sesame and Cilantro Vermicelli Salad
If the heat of the summer is getting to you, this is a lovely spicy pasta salad for a hot day. One recent morning, on a day when the mercury eventually hit 105°F, I made this vermicelli pasta early in the morning and then let it marinate all morning in the fridge. By lunch time, it was a snap to quickly pull together.
Honey Soy Dressing:
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil or corn oil
- 3 Tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper or chili powder
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce (less if using tamari which is more concentrated than soy sauce)
- 8 ounces of vermicelli, thin spaghetti, or angel hair pasta
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup sliced and chopped red bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 Cook the pasta in a large saucepan in salted boiling water, according to directions on pasta package. Drain but do not rinse.
2 While the pasta is cooking, prepare the dressing. In a microwave-safe dish, heat the vegetable oil, sesame oil, and red pepper, in the microwave on high heat for 2 minutes. Add the honey and soy sauce and mix well.
3 Combine the drained pasta with the dressing in a large bowl until the pasta is well coated. Cover and chill for several hours.
4 When ready to serve, mix in the cilantro, peanuts, green onions and bell pepper. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds.