- Simply Recipes named Number 1 of the Top 25 Food Blogs by The Daily Meal in 2013, 2012, 2011, and 2010
- Simply Recipes’ Elise Bauer named one of America’s 50 Most Powerful People in Food in 2012 by The Daily Meal (January 18, 2012)
- Finalist in the 2011 Weblog Awards (the Bloggies) for Best Food Blog (February, 2011).
- Profiled in the Sacramento Bee in Out of dot-com bust, Carmichael woman became a profitable food blogger (March 31, 2010).
“Elise Bauer… is the force behind what might be the country’s most successful food blog.”
- Highlighted as one of Eight of the Very Best Food Bloggers (March, 2010) in Forbes.com.
“Bauer… is a former Silicon Valley consultant who turned a family history project–writing down the recipes she grew up cooking with her parents–into an award-winning Web site.”
- Finalist in the 2010 Weblog Awards (the Bloggies) for Lifetime Achievement (February, 2010).
- Awarded Best Recipe Blog (November, 2009) in the Foodbuzz Blog Awards
- Highlighted as one of the 50 Best Food Blogs (February, 2009) in the London Times Online
Excerpt: “superb range of personal recipes”
- Highlighted as one of Saveur Magazine’s Sites We Love (2009)
- Listed as one of Gourmet Magazine’s Favorite Food Sites (2009) at Gourmet.com
- Profiled in Redbook Magazine (August, 2008)6 Inspiring Female Bloggers
Excerpt: “Through this blog I’ve magically tapped into a world of thousands of people who collectively know more about food and cooking than I ever could. Cooking is communal; it is so much more fun when doing it with friends.”
- Chipotle chocolate cake recipe praised in the SunHerald.com (July 16, 2008)”Blog up to the table: Finding trustworthy recipes online” (story no longer available online)Excerpt: The best chocolate cake we’ve ever eaten was made from a recipe found at Simply Recipes, where blogger Elise welcomes guest bloggers and they all present recipes for delicious things to eat.
- Highlighted in the Chicago Tribune (February 20, 2008)Dot.com Cooking by Bill Daley (story no longer available online)Excerpt: “I’ve made it through most of her site since then and check once a week for updates. She always has a great story to go with each recipe and isn’t afraid to use a little butter and cream to get the job done. And her recent post on stock from chicken feet was the icing on the cake.”
- Recommended in Fitness Magazine (June, 2007)Blog News & Reviews: Our Favorites from the Web this Month. (JPG)Excerpt: “Why we love it: Intimacy over volume – All dishes are friend or family-tested.”
- Called “The godmother of Sacramento food bloggers” in The Sacramento Bee The Internet is Cooking (May 23, 2007)Excerpt: Bauer, who, at four years at the virtual stove, qualifies as Betty Crocker, says, “Blogging is extremely easy. It doesn’t cost anything. There is this whole community aspect, too. It’s not just having your own soapbox. It’s connecting with other people who have the same passions you do. Food and cooking is about sharing. Food is a happy thing. It’s writing about something you love.”
- Highlighted in New Zealand’s FoodTown Magazine (April, 2007)Blog-licious: A case of too many cooks spoiling your enthusiasm? Not if you check out the proliferation of online foodie blogs. (JPG)
- Interviewed on Capital Public Radio (March 2, 2007)Elise is interviewed by Jeffrey Callison of Insight on Sacramento NPR affiliate Capital Public Radio KXJZ.Interview starts about one third of the way through the hour program.
- Noted in the Wall St. Journal (February 10, 2007) The Wizards of Buzz: A new kind of Web site is turning ordinary people into hidden influencers, shaping what we read, watch and buy.The WSJ describes Elise as one of the hidden influencers of the web and “somewhat of a maverick”.
- Featured in the Boston Globe (January 24, 2007) Blogs add a new ingredient to food writing Excerpt: “[...] Bauer is posting new recipes continually, most recently roasted parsnip puree, roast chicken with carrots, and butter pecan ice cream… Recipes come with a professional-quality photo and often a series of how-to photos.”
- Awarded Best Food Blog – Overall (January 10, 2007) in the 2006 Food Blog Awards.
- Noted in Time Magazine (August 3, 2006) 50 Coolest Websites 2006: Shopping, Lifestyles and HobbiesTime Magazine calls Simply Recipes a “great resource for cooks”.
- Finalist in the 2006 Weblog Awards (the Bloggies) for Best Food Weblog (February, 2006).
- Quoted in the Seattle Post Intelligencer (February 23, 2005)Techie-foodie’s virtual culinary kingdom carves out a respected place“Food blogs are the antidote to the increasingly consolidated culture-driving mass media. Being a blogger, I don’t care what some publishing conglomerate says about what I should like.”
- Finalist in the 2005 Weblog Awards (the Bloggies) for Best Food Weblog (February, 2005).
- Featured in the Sacramento Bee (January 19, 2005) Finger-clickin’ goodExcerpt: “All across the land, repositories of family recipes – kitchen drawers, tin boxes, binders – are being mined for gems worth sharing with neighbors. This has been going on for generations, of course, but it has accelerated as the home computer has succeeded the backyard fence as a means of swapping recipes. For Tom and Alice Bauer of Carmichael, it means that the contents of a thick manila folder not only are ending up on daughter Elise’s hard drive but in the recipe collections of hundreds of strangers.”