Sometimes you find some pretty good recipes in magazine food ads. This Apple Almond Cranberry Pie recipe comes (barely adapted) from an advertisement for Odense Almond Paste, made from almonds and sugar and imported from Denmark. What’s the difference between almond paste and marzipan? Both almond paste and marzipan have the same ingredients: almonds, sugar and glucose. Marzipan is milled to a smoother consistency, has more sugar and therefore is more pliable. Almond Paste has a higher almond content which gives it a stronger flavor. The original recipe called for sweetened dried cranberries, we’ve also used fresh unsweetened.
Apple Almond Cranberry Pie Recipe
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided into two 1/2 teaspoon portions
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup uncooked oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 4 to 5 apples good for cooking (like Granny Smith, Fuji, jonagold), sliced you should have 4 to 5 cups
- 1 to 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 roll (about 7 oz) Almond Paste (recommended brand is Odense)
- 1 unbaked 9" pie crust
- 3/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries or 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar if using fresh or frozen cranberries, 1/4 cup if using sweetened dried cranberries
1 In a bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, flour, oats, and brown sugar. Cut butter into flour mixture until crumbs are formed.
2 Peel, core, and slice the apples, and place them in a bowl. Toss with a little apple cider vinegar to keep them from turning brown.
3 Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll almond paste on a sheet of wax paper to form an 8 to 9 inch circle. Press rolled almond paste into the bottom of an unbaked pie crust.
4 Add cranberries, white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the bowl with the apples. Toss so everything is lightly coated with the sugar and cinnamon. Pack into pie shell.
5 Spoon crumb mixture evenly over apples. Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes, until bubbly. After 40 minutes of baking, place a large piece of aluminum foil over the pie to prevent the topping from burning.