Cranberry almond apple pie recipe, using Odense Almond Paste, tart apples, cranberries, chopped almonds, with a streusel topping.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided into two 1/2 teaspoon portions
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup uncooked oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter
- 4 to 5 apples good for cooking (like Granny Smith, Fuji, jonagold), sliced you should have 4 to 5 cups
- 1 to 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 roll (about 7 oz) Almond Paste (recommended brand is Odense)
- 1 unbaked 9" pie crust
- 3/4 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries or 3/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar if using fresh or frozen cranberries, 1/4 cup if using sweetened dried cranberries
1 In a bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, flour, oats, and brown sugar. Cut butter into flour mixture until crumbs are formed.
2 Peel, core, and slice the apples, and place them in a bowl. Toss with a little apple cider vinegar to keep them from turning brown.
3 Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll almond paste on a sheet of wax paper to form an 8 to 9 inch circle. Press rolled almond paste into the bottom of an unbaked pie crust.
4 Add cranberries, white sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to the bowl with the apples. Toss so everything is lightly coated with the sugar and cinnamon. Pack into pie shell.
5 Spoon crumb mixture evenly over apples. Bake 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 25 minutes, until bubbly. After 40 minutes of baking, place a large piece of aluminum foil over the pie to prevent the topping from burning.