It’s as if our carrot cake and our apple cake decided to get together and have babies. (What really happened is that my father wanted to make a great 3-layer spice cake from Sunset magazine for the 3rd time in a month and I convinced him that cupcakes would be a better way to go.)
Apple Carrot Cupcake Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil (light olive oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil)
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups packed coarsely grated carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups packed coarsely grated tart apples, such as Granny Smith (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts)
- 5 ounce fresh, mild chèvre (goat cheese), at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cups powdered sugar
1 Preheat oven to 350° and place rack in the center of the oven.
2 In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices, cocoa, pepper, and salt. Whisk to combine, then stir in oil and eggs. Stir in carrots, apples, and pecans.
3 Set aluminum or paper cupcake holders in muffin tins. Spoon the batter into the cupcake paper cups, three-quarters of the way to the top. Bake approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
4 Beat goat cheese, cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Gradually add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
Once cupcakes are cool, apply frosting.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on Simply Recipes. Thank you!