The amount of ingredients shown is just a guideline for two servings. The actual amounts depend on how much salad per serving you want. The important thing is that this is a good blend of flavors.
- 2 medium beets - (roasted* or boiled** until a fork easily goes in one, about an hour), peeled, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 handfuls (about 2.5 ounces) fresh baby arugula
- 4 Tbsp goat cheese (about 1.5 ounces)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped toasted walnuts
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dry powdered mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* To roast beets, scrub raw beets clean, coat with a little olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil, and roast in 400°F oven for 1 to 2 hours, until fork tender
** To boil beets, scrub raw beets clean, put in small pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 45 min to an hour, until fork tender
Place dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to emulsify. Adjust ingredients to taste.
Assemble the salad according to how much you want. Compose each dish with a handful of arugula leaves, a few cooked chopped beets, some crumbled goat cheese, and some chopped toasted walnuts.
Drizzle with vinaigrette.