Easy-to-make breakfast casserole, with eggs, cheese, milk, and bread, baked with your favorite mix-ins - sausage, bacon, ham, mushrooms, veggies.
The ingredient proportions are estimates. The more eggs, the firmer, and less likely to deflate, the casserole will be. Mushrooms tend to hold a lot of moisture, so if you use a lot of them, you may want to sauté them first to release some of their water. Sausage should be browned and cooked through first. Can also uses spices such as curry and cumin.
- 6-10 eggs
- 2-3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 slices bread, cut into cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup corn (cooked or frozen)
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli (cooked or raw, raw will turn out crunchier)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup cubed ham and/or cooked Italian sausage
- A few slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence, or other dried herbs, or a Tbsp of fresh chopped herbs such as basil, rosemary, or thyme
- 13 x 9 inch casserole dish
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the milk and cheese. Add the bread and carefully stir until all pieces of bread are moistened (don't over mix or the bread may disintegrate). Add additions. Add salt and pepper to taste (if using Italian sausage, you won't need either.) Butter a 13 x 9 inch casserole dish. Pour mix into casserole dish.
2 Bake in oven for 50 minutes to an hour, until the top is browned and the center springs back when touched. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.