A light springtime salad of grilled or roasted asparagus with marinated artichoke hearts and cherry tomatoes.
Thick asparagus spears are easier than thin to roast or grill without becoming too dry or over-cooked.
- 1 large shallot, sliced thin (can sub a few thin slices of red onion or some sliced spring onion)
- 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 pounds thick asparagus, rinsed, tough ends broken off and discarded (or saved for stock)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 15-ounce jar of good quality marinated artichoke hearts, quartered or cut in half (depending on the size of the artichokes)
1 Soak the sliced shallots in the lemon juice as you get ready to make the rest of the salad.
2a To roast the asparagus, preheat the oven to 400°F. Coat the asparagus spears with 1 Tbsp of olive oil, and salt them well. Lay in a single layer in a foil-lined roasting pan, and cook for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned and fork tender.
2b To grill the asparagus, prepare your charcoal or gas grill for high direct heat. Coat the asparagus with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill them until nicely charred and fork tender, between 5 to 10 minutes.
Remove the asparagus from the oven or grill and cut into bite-sized pieces.
3 Put the asparagus and all the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and mix to combine. Add as much of the marinating liquid from the jarred artichokes as you like. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Yield: Serve 6-8 as a side dish.