A simple asparagus salad with thinly sliced asparagus, shrimp, garlic, parsley, and dressed with olive oil and lemon juice.
We like using little salad shrimp for this recipe because they are sustainably caught in North America, but you could use any shrimp.
- 1 pound asparagus, woody stem ends removed
- 1/2 pound pink salad shrimp, cooked, shelled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced (1/2 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons, depending on how much you like fresh garlic)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice (more to taste)
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
1 Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and salt it well. Add the asparagus to the boiling water and boil for 3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove the asparagus to a bowl to cool. Add the shrimp to the pot of boiling water. If they are pre-cooked, remove after 30 seconds—this is just to warm them. If the shrimp are uncooked, boil them for 2-3 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the shrimp and add them to a large bowl.
2 Slice the asparagus spears thinly on the diagonal until you get close to the tip. Cut the asparagus tips off in one piece. (They look prettier that way.) Put the asparagus in the bowl with the shrimp. Add the remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Add salt and black pepper to taste. Add more lemon juice if desired, to taste.