Chicken Parmesan recipe with boneless skinless chicken breasts, breaded with Parmesan and crumbs, fried, topped with a tomato sauce.
Parmesan chicken is traditionally made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. We use breasts, but thighs too, if we are starting with a whole chicken.
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes (we use Muir-Glen)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (5-oz) skinless boneless chicken breast halves (or deboned thighs)
- 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs (we make our breadcrumbs from old French bread)
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 Prepare the sauce. In a large saucepan, heat the garlic and oil together over medium high heat until the garlic starts to sizzle. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, oregano, sugar, a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer until sauce thickens a bit and flavors meld, about 10-12 minutes. Taste sauce, adjust seasoning if necessary, cover and keep warm.
2 Preheat oven to 450°F. Cut each chicken breast half in half for smaller pieces. With a meat pounder, pound the chicken pieces to flatten them to an even thickness - between 1/4 - 1/2 inch. You might find it easier to put the chicken between layers of plastic wrap before pounding.
3 Whisk together mustard, vinegar, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a large bowl, add the chicken pieces, tossing to coat well.
4 In another bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, grated cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Mix well and add in the melted butter. Transfer to a shallow plate. Dredge the chicken pieces 1 piece at a time in the crumb mixture, coating completely. Press the crumbs in gently to adhere and transfer to a stick-free baking sheet. Bake in the middle of the oven until golden brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Serve with a side of rice or pasta. Ladle sauce over the chicken.