A fresh black bean salad, perfect for a summer picnic or potluck. Tomatoes, jalepenos, avocado, black bleans and corn combined to give this salad it's kick and fresh flavors.
Make sure to rinse and drain the beans, if you are using canned beans.
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, thoroughly rinsed, and drained (or 1 1/2 cup of freshly cooked black beans)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted (or fresh corn, parboiled, drained and cooled)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions or shallots
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced, or 1 whole pickled jalapeño pepper, minced (not seeded)
- 3 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (about the amount of juice from one lime)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1 In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, onions, jalapeno chile peppers, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, basil, lime juice and olive oil.
2 Add sugar and salt and pepper to taste. (The sugar will help balance the acidity from the tomatoes and lime juice.) Chill before serving.