A fresh black bean salad, perfect for a summer picnic or potluck. Red bell peppers, jalapeños, avocado, black beans and corn combined to give this salad its kick and fresh flavors.
We've sample many brands of canned black beans (see our Black Bean Burrito Bowl for details). Our favorites for flavor are S&W Premium Black Beans, Bush's Best Black Beans, and Goya.
This black bean salad uses cilantro. For those of you who don't like cilantro, feel free to substitute with fresh basil.
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 cups of freshly cooked black beans)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted (or fresh corn, parboiled, drained and cooled, or grilled and cooled)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions (including onion greens) or shallots
- 1/2 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced, or 1/2 pickled jalapeño pepper, minced (not seeded)
- 3 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped and/or 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 Tbsp lime juice (about the juice from one lime)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar (to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 In a large bowl, gently combine the black beans, corn, chopped green onions, minced jalapeños, chopped tomatoes (or red bell pepper), lime juice, and olive oil. Gently fold in the chopped avocados.
2 Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with sugar to taste, enough to balance the acidity from the lime juice. Chill.
3 Right before serving, add the chopped fresh cilantro.