Sweet potatoes, boiled in water, mashed and mixed with bourbon whisky, butter, and sugar.
- 3 pounds garnet sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 3 to 4 Tbsp of bourbon whisky
- 4 Tbsp butter (more or less to taste)
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Place the sweet potato chunks in a large (5 quart) pot, cover with water. Add a tablespoon of salt to the water. Bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
2 Drain the cooked sweet potatoes and return them to the pot on the stove. Lower the heat to low. Add the bourbon and the butter to the pot and stir. Add the brown sugar and vanilla extract and stir. Mash with a potato masher until smooth. Add more salt, bourbon, butter, and brown sugar to taste.
Yield: Serves 6-8 as a side dish.