Broccoli slaw, a coleslaw made with broccoli stems, cabbage, and carrots, with a tangy cranberry orange dressing.
Dressing (makes about 1 cup)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dried sweetened cranberries, plumped up in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes, then drained
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, more to taste
- 6 Tbsp vegetable oil (or canola, peanut, or rice bran oil)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups peeled and grated broccoli stalks (from about 6 stalks of broccoli, or you may be able to buy already grated, packaged)*
- 2 cups grated carrots (from 4 to 6 carrots)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (Napa cabbage, green, or red cabbage)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon (or more to taste) of Kosher salt
*If using freshly broccoli stalks, cut them away from the broccoli crowns. Peel the tough outer layer with a vegetable peeler. Either use the grater blade of a food processor or the large holes of a box grater to grate the broccoli stalks.
1 Make the dressing: Put the balsamic and red wine vinegars, plumped dried cranberries, mustard, honey, garlic, orange juice, orange zest, and salt into a blender or a mini food processor and pulse until puréed smooth.
Slowly add the vegetable oil, while pulsing or blending, to form a good emulsion. Then add the mayonnaise and pulse until blended.
2 Toss grated broccoli, carrots, cabbage, onions, dried cranberries, zest with dressing: Place grated broccoli stalks, carrots, cabbage, the onions, dried cranberries, orange zest, and Kosher salt into a bowl.
Add the dressing and toss to combine, until the dressing is evenly distributed.
You can make several hours ahead of time before serving.