This recipe was written and developed by Almond Breeze.
Pairs well with a crisp autumn day and good company.
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese RecipePrint
- 4 cups diced butternut squash (about 1/2 a medium butternut squash)
- 2 1/2 cups Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original OR Almond Cashew Original
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans; drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces (about 2 cups) white cheddar cheese; shredded
- 1 bunch kale; chopped (about 3 packed cups)
- 1 pound whole wheat (or alternative grain) pasta
- Salt and pepper
- additional cheese; for topping
1 Combine the butternut squash, Almond Breeze, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and nutmeg in a pot. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the squash is tender.
2 Add the butternut squash mixture to a blender with the white beans and blend until completely smooth. A stick blender should also work here, if you prefer.
3 Transfer butternut squash/bean mixture back to the pot (no heat yet). Add the cheese a little at a time, stirring until melted and incorporated. Then, add the kale.
4 Return the pot to heat and cook over low heat until kale is wilted. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
5 Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain, then mix with the sauce.
6 Serve mac & cheese immediately or pour into a baking dish, top with additional shredded cheese, and broil until golden brown and bubbling.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese on Simply Recipes. Thank you!Print