My father would call these sandwiches for “ladies who lunch”, and in fact, I first encountered them at a luncheon gathering of women friends. But one can’t really go wrong with lightly toasted flatbread and an insalata Caprese filling of tomatoes, fresh mozarella, and basil. The original recipe comes from a friend’s Pampered Chef recipe; the following, my adaptation.
Caprese Mini Sandwiches Recipe
- 4 Middle Eastern flatbread (pita bread rounds without pockets)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) coarsely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed dried Italian seasoning herbs (basil, oregano, marjoram)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vinaigrette or light balsamic salad dressing
- 2 cups mixed baby salad greens or spinach leaves
- 2-3 balls fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced (about 8 ounces)
- 2 large plum tomatoes, sliced
1 Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place flatbread rounds on a pizza stone or baking pan; drizzle with oil, spreading evenly. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese and seasoning mix. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light golden brown and cheese is melted.
2 While the flatbread is toasting, create a light pesto by mixing together in a small bowl the walnuts, fresh basil, garlic and salt.
3 Remove flatbread from the oven to a cutting board. Turn the pieces over. Drizzle with dressing, spreading evenly to the edges. Using a sharp chef's knife, cut each round into six wedges. Top each wedge with a small amount of the greens. Place one slice of mozzarella cheese over greens; top with pesto and one slice of tomato. Top with remaining pita wedges, cheese side up forming 12 mini sandwiches. Serve immediately.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on Simply Recipes. Thank you!