My friend Michelle loves to throw big parties, with plenty of food and plenty of friends. I think it must be the large Italian family thing, one is never at a loss for food or great company at her house. One of my favorite dishes that usually makes an appearance at Michelle’s is this “cheesy bread”, a sort of cross between garlic bread and pizza. It’s a great way to help feed a lot of hungry people, and easy to pull together, even at the last minute. Big thanks to Michelle, who tracked the recipe down from her friend Mark, who is happy to share it with us.
Cheesy Bread Recipe
- 8 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped green onion (to taste)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sour cream (optional)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup, 4 ounces), softened to the point of being slightly melted
- 1 to 2 loaves of French or Italian bread (I used Ciabatta), depending on the size of the loaves
1 In a large bowl, mix together the cheeses and the green onion. Stir in the mayonnaise and sour cream. In a separate small bowl blend the butter and garlic until smooth. Add the butter mixture to the cheese mixture.
2 Preheat broiler. Slice loaf of bread in half horizontally, lay crust side down. Spread cheese mixture over the bread. Place under the broiler until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
3 Remove from broiler and let sit for 5 minutes until cool enough to handle. Slice the bread with a bread knife. Serve.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on Simply Recipes. Thank you!