This recipe can easily be doubled or scaled up to make even more.
- 4 oz shredded Mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped green onion (to taste)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sour cream (optional)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter (1/4 cup, 2 ounces), softened to the point of being slightly melted
- 1 loaf of French or Italian bread (I used Ciabatta)
1 In a large bowl, mix together the cheeses and the green onion. Stir in the mayonnaise and sour cream. In a separate small bowl blend the butter and garlic until smooth. Add the butter mixture to the cheese mixture.
2 Preheat broiler. Slice loaf of bread in half horizontally, lay crust side down on a foil-lined baking sheet. Spread cheese mixture over the bread.
3 Place under the broiler until nicely browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
4 Remove from broiler and let sit for 5 minutes until cool enough to handle. Slice the bread with a bread knife. Serve.
Try mixing in other ingredients with the topping mixture, such as chopped black olives, chopped canned artichoke hearts, minced shrimp, or crab meat.