Fresh summer tomatoes, garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), hard boiled eggs, and sweet onions, tossed with a light vinaigrette – here are the makings of a surprisingly delicious summer salad. I made this for lunch yesterday from a recipe in a recent issue of Sunset Magazine. I particularly love the balance in the salad – the acidity of the tomatoes and vinegar with the sweetness of the onions, the parsley which supplies a bitter, the salt, the olive oil, and the protein from the beans and eggs. It’s a complete, light meal in itself.
Chickpea (Garbanzo Bean) and Tomato Salad Recipe
- 2 15-ounce cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 4 tomatoes (about 2 lbs.), cored and chopped
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups of chopped sweet onion (Vidalia, Walla walla, or another variety)
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Tbsp of white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped parsley for garnish
1 Combine the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, eggs, and onion in a large bowl.
2 Separately mix the dressing ingredients in a jar or a small bowl - olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour over salad ingredients. Sprinkle on chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
You can chill the undressed salad up to six hours, until ready to serve.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on Simply Recipes. Thank you!