Fresh summer tomatoes, garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), hard boiled eggs, and sweet onions, tossed with a light vinaigrette – here are the makings of a surprisingly delicious summer salad. I made this for lunch yesterday from a recipe in a recent issue of Sunset Magazine. I particularly love the balance in the salad – the acidity of the tomatoes and vinegar with the sweetness of the onions, the parsley which supplies a bitter, the salt, the olive oil, and the protein from the beans and eggs. It’s a complete, light meal in itself.
Chickpea (Garbanzo Bean) and Tomato Salad Recipe
- 2 15-ounce cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 4 tomatoes (about 2 lbs.), cored and chopped
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups of chopped sweet onion (Vidalia, Walla walla, or another variety)
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 Tbsp of white wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chopped parsley for garnish
1 Combine the garbanzo beans, tomatoes, eggs, and onion in a large bowl.
2 Separately mix the dressing ingredients in a jar or a small bowl - olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Pour over salad ingredients. Sprinkle on chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
You can chill the undressed salad up to six hours, until ready to serve.