Happiness is … finding a half-full can of chipotle chilies in adobo in the fridge, when you have burgers to grill! These smoked red jalapeños add pizzaz to almost anything grilled. Fold minced chipotles into your burger mixture, form patties and grill. Top the burgers with melted jack cheese, sliced avocados, and a little cilantro. If you want even more heat, double down and add strips of roasted poblano chilies.
Have a safe and fun Fourth of July! ~Elise
Chipotle Burger RecipePrint
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/3 cup grated onion
- 2-4 chipotle peppers (from a can of chipotle chili peppers in adobo), depending on how much chile heat you like, minced, plus 1 Tbsp of the adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns
- 6 slices jack cheese
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Chipotle hot sauce to taste (we use Tabasco brand)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 2 poblano chile peppers, roasted, seeded, peeled and sliced (optional)*
* Optional step for roasted poblanos. Coat the poblanos with a little oil and grill or broil them until they are blackened on all sides. Alternatively, you can take the plain, un-oiled peppers and place them directly on a gas stovetop burner, turning them as needed, until they are blackened on all sides. Place the blackened peppers in a covered bowl for 15 minutes or so to steam. Peel off the charred skin and remove all the seeds. Slice into thick ribbons and toss with a little vegetable oil and salt and set aside.
1 Mix the ground beef, grated onion, minced chipotles, the adobo sauce, salt, cumin and black pepper together in a large bowl. Mix gently, just until the ingredients are combined. Do not over-mix or the burgers will be tough.
2 Form 4-6 patties from the burger mix, about 1/4 pound to 1/3 pound each. Tip: form the patties with a little indentation in the center and as they cook the patties won't bulge as much in the center.
3 Grill the burgers over medium-high heat (with the grill lid down) until done, about 6-7 minutes per side, depending on how hot your grill is. Cook until the internal temperature is 140°F for medium rare, or 160°F for well done. When the burgers are almost ready, place a slice of jack cheese on each patty and close the grill lid. The cheese should melt in a little over a minute.
4 If you want toasted burger buns with your burgers, toast them after you've flipped the burgers. Watch that the buns don't burn; when they are lightly toasted move them to a tray near the grill. When the burgers are ready, place them on the buns. Top with slices of avocado, then some of the roasted poblanos (if using) a little cilantro and hot sauce.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Chipotle Burger on Simply Recipes. Thank you!Print