Why do I love meatloaf? It reminds me of being a kid. Where does one get meatloaf other than at home or at a school cafeteria? When I lived in San Francisco I bought meatloaf already mixed and seasoned from my local butcher. Just mixed in an egg, put it in a loaf pan, and popped it in the oven for an hour. These days I wait for my father to whip up a batch. He makes the Best. Meatloaf. Ever. His trick? Italian pork sausage (half sweet, half spicy). He once substituted this sausage for regular ground pork and never looked back.
Classic Meatloaf Recipe
Many meatloaf recipes call for ground veal or pork in addition to ground beef. You might want to experiment with a third each of beef, pork, and veal. If you don't have access to spicy ground pork or Italian sausage, add a pinch of fennel seeds and a half teaspoon of hot sauce to regular ground pork.
Preparation time: 20 minutes to prep, 1 hour to cook.
- 1 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 carrot, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped scallions (can substitute onion)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoon salt (use 1 1/2 teaspoons if using Italian sausage)
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground chuck
- 3/4 pound of spicy ground pork sausage or Italian sausage (a mix of sweet and hot if you are using links)
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, beaten slightly
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2 In a large heavy skillet cook the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and scallions in butter, over medium heat, stirring, for about 5 minutes. Cover the skillet and stir occassionally until the carrots are tender, about 5 more minutes. Stir in salt and pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/3 a cup of ketchup. Cook for 1 more minute.
3 In a large bowl, combine the meats, eggs, vegetables, bread crumbs, and parsley. Form into a loaf and put into a rectangular baking pan with 2-inch high sides. Cover the loaf with remaining ketchup.
4 Bake the meatloaf in the oven for 1 hour.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6, with plenty for leftovers for meatloaf sandwiches.