Cold tomato vegetable soup, made with fresh, uncooked tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, red bell pepper, celery, sweet onion, and garlic. Perfect for a hot summer day.
Note, dad says to chop the zucchini finer than what is pictured in the photo.
- 6 fresh, ripe tomatoes, seeds removed (cut tomatoes in half, squeeze out seeds into a sieve over a bowl to catch the juice, use the juice, discard the seeds), chopped
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped fine
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 zucchini, chopped fine
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped fine
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups tomato juice (in addition to the juice made when you squeezed the tomatoes above)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (or pinch of dry)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- Hot sauce if needed
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Use the additional tomato juice to thin the soup to desired consistency. Adjust seasonings to taste. Better the next day.