Coleslaw with thinly sliced cabbage, carrots and green onion, seasoned with mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar dressing. The quintessential American picnic salad.
If you are making a lot of coleslaw, it's easiest to use a mandoline to slice the cabbage.
However you slice the cabbage, you'll have an easier time of it if you cut the heat first in quarters, from the top through the core. Then lay a quarter wedge of cabbage on its side and cut out the core.
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage (green or purple, or a mix)
- 1 carrot, grated (large holes of a box grater)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 4 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar or wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more to taste)
Place the cabbage, carrot, and onions in a large bowl. Add the dressing ingredients and gently mix so that all of the shredded cabbage is coated with the dressing.
Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.