Tasty hot crab dip appetizer with lump crab meat, cream cheese, mayo, and seasonings.
We also peeled and chopped up bosc pears to use for dipping in this recipe. If you are avoiding wine, just use water to get to desired consistency.
- 18 ounces (3 6-oz packages) cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard (yellow or Dijon)
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar (or 1 Tbsp corn starch if you want to skip the sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning (or paprika with a little ground ginger and cayenne)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry sherry (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3/4 lb to 1 lb of lump crab meat, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion greens, chives, or parsley
- Day old French or Italian loaf bread (best not fresh or will fall apart when dipped), cubed into 1-inch cubes
1 Slowly heat the cream cheese, mayo, powdered sugar, garlic powder, Old Bay, lemon zest, and mustard in a double boiler until the cheese is completely melted. (If you don't have a double boiler, fill a saucepan a third of the way with water and bring to a boil, place a metal bowl over the saucepan. This will work as a double boiler.)
2 Slowly stir in the wine and lemon juice (adjust quantities to taste and desired consistency). Slowly stir in the crab meat and onion greens.
To serve, transfer to a heated chafing dish or fondue pot to keep warm. Present with bread cubes and forks for dipping.