Most crab lovers know that fresh crab pairs well with avocado. But have you ever tried it with roasted hazelnuts (also called Filberts)? I got this idea from a crab hazelnut pear appetizer prepared by Oregon chef Jason Stoller Smith. It’s lovely.
Crab Salad with Pear and Hazelnuts Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 firm, but sweet pears, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (or 3 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large pieces of butter lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
In a medium sized bowl mix the hazelnuts, celery, pear, onion, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, ground pepper, and salt. Gently fold in the lump crab meat, trying not to break up the crab too much.
Make individual servings, about a half cup each over a piece of butter lettuce.