Quick, easy, and delicious cream cheese frosting, for cakes and cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup of butter (1 stick, 4 ounces), room temperature
- 8 oz of Philadelphia cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
- 2 to 3 cups of powdered sugar (also known as confectioner's sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until completely smooth, about 3 minutes on medium speed. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl to ensure that the mixture is mixed evenly.
2 Beat in the vanilla extract. With the mixer running, slowly add in the powdered sugar. Powdered sugar has cornstarch in it that will thicken the frosting as well as making it sweet. Keeping adding more powdered sugar to the frosting until you get your desired level of sweetness and thickness.
3 Use a blunt knife or spatula to spread the frosting, or spoon the frosting into a piping bag to decorate your cupcake or cake.
Here are some fun variations:
- Add a teaspoon of Chinese Five Spice for an exotic take for a chocolate cake
- Add a little ground ginger to the frosting for a carrot cake
- Finely grind some chai spice or earl grey tea and add that to the frosting
- Intensify a vanilla frosting by adding some scrapings from a fresh vanilla bean to the frosting
- Mix freshly grated or dried, flaked coconut to the frosting to make a coconut frosting