This delicious cream of spinach soup is as rich, smooth and creamy as the label “Cream of” would imply. It’s basically a vichyssoise, with spinach in addition to the potatoes, and can be served either hot or chilled.
Cream of Spinach Soup Recipe
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach - packed - (or 1 10-oz package frozen spinach, thawed)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes (or vegetable bouillon cubes for vegetarian option)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Optional: chopped chives and/or ground allspice for garnish
1 In a large saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion in butter for 3 minutes or until limp. Add potatoes, chicken broth, water, and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Add spinach and cook for 2 to 4 minutes longer until spinach is tender.
2 Working in batches, purée soup mixture in a blender. Return to saucepan. Whisk in half-and-half, salt and pepper.
3 Over low heat, bring to just before simmering. Whisk in the sour cream. You may want to use an immersion blender to get the sour cream fully incorporated.
This soup can be served hot or chilled. Garnish with chopped chives, sprinkles of allspice, or a dollop of sour cream.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8.