Ah, egg salad. Is there anything easier or more unpretentious? Chop up some hard boiled eggs, add a little mayo and voilà! Instant sandwich filling. Or salad fixings. Add some chopped celery for crunch, and maybe some chopped chives or green onions for, hmm, for something green! One of the easiest things to do with egg salad is to add some curry powder. Hard boiled eggs and curry? They were made for each other. Now if you really want to take the salad up a notch further, try this trick. Add some mango chutney. The sweet and sour from the chutney along with the spiciness from the curry, and our little egg salad is ready for a Bollywood premier. (Well, maybe a Bollywood premier that’s really really Americanized.) Looking for an easy and interesting tea sandwich or appetizer for brunch? Spread a little of this curried egg salad onto bread or toast rounds.
Curried Egg Salad with Mango Chutney Recipe
- 6 hard boiled eggs*, peeled
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yellow curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives, green onions, or shallots
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- Dash of cayenne, more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 slices bread (use gluten-free bread or serve with lettuce for gluten-free option)
* To hard boil eggs, place eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with at least an inch of water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, cover, let sit for 12 minutes. Rinse in cool water to stop the cooking.
1 If serving the egg salad on toast, or toasted rounds, start preparing the toast with the sliced bread while you prep the other ingredients.
2 Roughly chopped the peeled, hard boiled eggs and put them into a medium sized serving bowl. Use the tines of the fork to press against the cooked egg pieces to break them into smaller pieces.
3 Add the mango chutney, yellow curry powder, salt, mayonnaise, chives, celery, black pepper, and cayenne to the eggs. Mix until well combined.
4 Serve the curried egg salad on lettuce for a salad, or on sliced bread or toast for sandwiches. If making appetizers, use a biscuit cutter to cut out rounds on either plain sliced bread or toast, then spread the egg salad over the rounds.