Quick and easy black beans and rice with onion, bell pepper, garlic, Tabasco, oregano, and white rice.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (for added flavor you can substitute roasted red bell peppers or some chopped pimentos)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- A few dashes of Tabasco or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 heaping Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Lime wedges and cilantro for garnish
1 Cook the rice: Cook rice according to package instructions. White rice usually takes 15 minutes to cook once the water is simmering, and 10 minutes to sit.
2 Sauté onions, bell peppers, garlic: Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Sauté onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes, until just beginning to soften, then add garlic and sauté a minute more.
3 Add beans, vinegar, Tabasco, then simmer: Add the black beans, vinegar and Tabasco or cayenne. Bring vinegar to a simmer, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
4 Stir in rice and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.