We are using canned artichoke hearts that have been packed in water. You could also use freshly cooked artichoke hearts. Just avoid the artichoke hearts that are packed in a marinade; those would overwhelm this dish.
- 6 eggs, hard boiled
- 3/4 cup chopped artichoke hearts (from about 1/2 14-ounce can artichokes hearts in water, drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon capers, drained
- 4 pitted green olives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced chives or green onion greens, packed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon and/or parsley, packed
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, packed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Sprigs of mâche lettuce or baby spinach for garnish
1 Cut the eggs in half lengthwise, remove the yolks and place in a bowl. Place the whites on a serving platter.
2 In a food processor, chop the artichokes, green olives, capers, chives, tarragon, and parsley, by pulsing a few times.
3 In a medium bowl, break up one of the egg yolks with a fork. Stir in the mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in the chopped artichoke mixture, the Parmesan cheese, and black pepper.
4 Use a spoon to carefully stuff each egg white half with the artichoke tapenade.
5 Using the fine holes of a box grater, a microplane grater, or (preferably) a rotary cheese grater, gently grate the egg yolks over the entire platter.
Garnish with mâche or baby lettuce to serve.