Recently I got a call from my friend Elizabeth who said, “You’ve got to try my mother’s flank steak; it’s soooo good!” I begged the recipe from Maria (Elizabeth’s mother) and tried it out last night. It was terrific. Very tasty, everyone ate it right up. Best thing about it? It’s fast and easy. Maria adapted her recipe from one in a Williams Sonoma cookbook (details below).
Flank Steak Stir-Fry with Asparagus and Red Pepper Recipe
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb asparagus, trimmed, cut on the diagonal into 1 1/2 inch lengths (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 lb of flank steak, sliced in half lengthwise (along the grain) and then cut into thin strips, 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide (put the steak in the freezer for 15 minutes before slicing to make it easier to slice)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, de-ribbed, and cut into thin strips 2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch dissolved into 3 Tablespoons of water
All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce for gluten-free version)
- 1 tsp finely chopped, peeled, fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, including green tops, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili oil
1 While you are chopping the ingredients in preparation, bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Parboil the asparagus pieces for 2 minutes, drain, rinse in cold water, drain, and set aside. If you are planning to serve this dish with rice, in a separate pan, prepare 2 cups of white rice, following the instructions on the rice package.
2 Prepare the All Purpose Stir Fry Sauce by combining the ingredients in a small dish, and set aside.
3 Stir-fry the asparagus in a wok (or a thick-bottomed pan with at least 2" sides that can take high heat) in 1 Tbsp of oil, on high heat, for about 2 minutes until lightly browned. Remove asparagus from pan and set aside.
4 Add another 1 Tbsp of oil to the pan and stir fry the beef strips, in 2 batches, for 2-3 minutes until browned but still pink inside. Return the first batch of beef to the pan and add the bell pepper. Stir and toss over high heat until just beginning to wilt, 1-2 minutes.
5 Quickly stir the cornstarch liquid and add it to the pan along with the stir fry sauce. Cook until sauce thickens, 1-2 minutes. Return the asparagus to the pan, toss to evenly coat and serve with steamed white rice (unless you are going low-carb, in which case, leave out the rice).
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to the source recipe here on Simply Recipes. Thank you!