Holiday spiced molasses gingerbread cupcakes with tangy lemon icing.
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick of unsalted butter)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of unsulphured molasses (not blackstrap)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup of grated ginger
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
Combine the sugar and lemon juice together in a bowl and stir until smooth. Allow to stiffen up a bit for 4 minutes. Spoon over the cooled cupcakes and allow to harden.
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, melt the butter and water together in the microwave, covering the top with plastic wrap.
2 Sift together the flour, salt, baking soda and dry spices in a bowl.
3 Beat together the molasses and brown sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds between each.
4 Beat in the flour mixture slowly until just incorporated. Add the butter mixture and the grated ginger and beat until smooth. Batter will be runny.
5 Spoon into cupcake papers, about 3/4 full. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for a minute to set before moving to a wire rack to fully cool.