Beautiful golden beet salad peppered with ruby red pomegranate seeds, served on a bed of arugula and lettuce greens.
You can roast the beets or boil them. Roasting the beets will give them more flavor, but it takes longer and will use more energy than boiling.
- 3 golden beets
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 3 Tbsp Triple Sec or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups arugula and butter lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 Cook the beets - either boil them for 45 minutes or roast them at 375°F for an hour. Let cool. Peel and dice into 1/2 inch cubes.
2 In a medium skillet over high heat, bring diced beets, onion, vinegar, broth, liqueur, sugar, and orange peel to a boil, stirring often, until liquid is reduced to 2 Tbsp, about 5 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
3 Stir pomegranate seeds into the beet mixture and salt to taste. Serve on top of salad greens on individual plates. Sprinkle with feta cheese.