You can roast the beets or boil them. Roasting the beets will give them more flavor, but it takes longer and will use more energy than boiling.
- 3 golden beets
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 3 Tbsp Triple Sec or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups arugula and butter lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 Cook the beets - either boil them for 45 minutes or roast them at 375°F for an hour. Let cool. Peel and dice into 1/2 inch cubes.
2 Put the diced cooked beets, onions, vinegar, stock, Triple Sec, sugar, and orange peel in a skillet on high heat. Heat to a boil, and continue to boil, stirring often, until the liquid is reduced to a glaze, about 2 tablespoons (5 minutes or so). Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3 Stir pomegranate seeds into the beet mixture and salt to taste. Serve on top of salad greens and sprinkle with feta cheese.