Wonderfully retro jello salad recipe made with pineapple, cucumber, horseradish, and lime jello.
- 1 6oz package of Jell-O Lime gelatin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, diced cucumbers
- 3 Tbsp horseradish (or more if you want it spicier)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated onion
- 2 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup of diced or crushed drained canned pineapple (you cannot use fresh pineapple with gelatins. The bromelaine enzyme in fresh pineapple will keep the gelatin from bonding.)
1 In a bowl, dissolve lime jello and salt in 2 cups of hot water (don't use boiling water, just regular hot water). Add 2 cups cold water. Chill until slightly thickened - the consistency of egg whites, about 30 minutes.
2 In a separate bowl mix cucumber, horseradish, grated onion, and vinegar. Fold pineapple and cucumber mixture into jello. Pour into a jello mold and chill for several hours (about 6) until gelatin sets.
3 To remove jello from its mold, fill up a basin half-way with hot water. Lower the jello mold into the hot water, metal side down, until the water comes up almost to the edge of the mold. Keep it there 5 seconds and remove. Place a plate on top of the jello mold and turn upside down. The jello salad should just slide out.