Savory grits with extra corn and green onion greens, Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, grated
- 1 cup whole corn kernels, either frozen or freshly cut from the cob
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup stone-ground or coarse-ground grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh green onion greens
1 Heat the oil n a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the grated onion and cook, stirring, until transparent, about 2 minutes. Add the corn kernels and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kernels become soft, about 5 minutes.
2 Add the milk, water, and 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Whisk in the grits, decrease the heat to low, and simmer, whisking occasionally, until the grits are creamy and thick, 45 to 60 minutes. Stir in the butter, Parmesan, parsley, and chopped green onions. Taste and adjust for seasoning with salt and pepper.