American comfort classic hamburger and macaroni recipe. Browned ground beef cooked in a tomato onion sauce, mixed in with elbow macaroni.
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni (use rice pasta or gluten-free pasta for gluten-free version)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (or mixed chopped green onion greens and yellow onion)
- 1/2 teaspoon Vegesal or other seasoned salt
- Pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 large can (28 oz) of diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Get a large pot of hot water heating and begin cooking the macaroni as per the directions on the macaroni package.
2 While the water is heating and macaroni cooking, prepare the sauce. In a skillet, brown the ground beef in a tablespoon of olive oil on high heat. Stir only infrequently so that the ground beef has an opportunity to brown. When the beef has mostly browned, add the onions to the pan and toss to combine. Cook until the onions are soft, about 4-6 minutes.
3 Add the celery seed, a dash of crushed red pepper and the Vegesal or other seasoned salt. Pour in canned tomatoes, add the Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes. Mix in the drained and cooked macaroni and the parsley. Cook for another 5 minutes.
Add freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste.