Chicken thighs, slathered in herb vinaigrette, roasted on bed of sliced potatoes and shallots.
Thinly slice the potatoes so that they will cook more quickly and will be cooked through by the time the chicken is done.
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (less or more depending on how much you like mustard, we like it with 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon dried herbes de provence (can sub Italian seasoning or dry thyme or 1 Tbsp of fresh chopped herbs such as thyme or tarragon)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 pounds chicken thighs, bone in, skin-on, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced (1/8-inch thick or less)
- 1 cup sliced, peeled shallots (can sub thinly sliced onion that have soaked in water for 10 min)
- 3 to 4 whole garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- Several whole sprigs of fresh tarragon or thyme (optional)
- More salt and pepper to taste
1 Preheat oven to 375°F. Sprinkle all sides of chicken thighs with kosher salt and set aside.
2 In a small bowl whisk together the red wine vinegar, olive oil, Dijon mustard, herbes de provence, 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
3 Spread a teaspoon of olive oil over the bottom of a large (9x13-inch) casserole dish. Cover the bottom of the dish with the thinly sliced potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Distribute the sliced shallots over the potatoes, and sprinkle again with a little salt and pepper.
4 Place the chicken thighs, skin-side up, on top of the shallots. Wedge the garlic cloves between pieces of chicken. If you have fresh herbs such as tarragon or thyme, you can wedge them in along the border, between the chicken pieces and the dish. Whisk the vinaigrette again and pour it over the chicken, spreading it with your fingers to make sure the chicken is well coated.
5 Bake uncovered in a 375°F oven for 50 minutes, or until the thighs are well browned and cooked through. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.