Garnet yam sweet potato recipe, pureed garnet yams with butter, brown sugar, and holiday spices. Perfect for Thanksgiving.
You can easily make this recipe a day or two ahead and reheat right before serving.
If you don't have a fresh orange for the rind, you can stir in a little orange juice instead.
- 3 pounds (about 6 medium sized) red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1/2 cup (packed) light brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce the sweet potatoes all over with the tines of a fork (this is to help release pressure as the potato cooks). Put the potatoes in a roasting pan or thick, rimmed baking sheet. Bake until the sweet potatoes are completely tender, about 50 minutes to an hour or more. Remove from oven and let sit until cool enough to touch.
2 Cut the sweet potatoes lengthwise and scoop out the insides into a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar, butter, lemon juice, orange peel, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Use an electric mixer (or by hand with strong arms) to beat until the sweet potatoes are completely smooth.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.