Garnet yam sweet potato recipe, pureed garnet yams with butter, brown sugar, and holiday spices. Perfect for Thanksgiving.
- 3 pounds (about 6 medium sized) red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°F. Pierce sweet potatoes in several places with fork; place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until tender when pierced with fork, about 55 minutes. Cool slightly.
2 Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Scoop out pulp into large bowl; discard peel. Add brown sugar, butter, lemon juice, grated orange peel, ground cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg to sweet potato pulp. Using an electric mixer, beat until mixture is smooth; season with salt and pepper.
Can be made a day ahead.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings.