Homemade mango chutney recipe. Delicious served with roasted chicken and a side of Spanish rice.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 6 cups mangoes (4 to 5), peeled and cut in 3/4-inch pieces (See How to Cut a Mango)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, whole
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (hot)
1 Combine sugar and vinegar in a 6 quart pot; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
2 Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, until syrupy and slightly thickened, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally during cooking.
3 Pour into clean, hot jars leaving 1/2-inch headspace; close jars. (Do not over-tighten the jars.) Process in a water bath 15 minutes.
To process in a water bath, put a rack on the bottom of tall, large pot. Place the sealed jars on the rack. Fill the pot with water, covering the jars by 1 inch. Bring to a rolling boil. Boil for 15 minutes. Remove the jars from the pot and let sit at room temperature to cool.