You can use gluten-free soy sauce in this recipe, and use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian. However, do not substitute black pepper for the white pepper. The mushrooms and lily buds can be found at any Chinese market.
- 6 dried Chinese black fungus
- 6 dried wood ear, black, cloud, straw, or shiitake mushrooms, or one bunch of fresh enoki mushrooms
- 5 dried lily buds
- One can of bamboo shoots
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 4 cups of chicken broth (use gluten-free broth for gluten-free version)
- 1/2 block of firm tofu, diced into small cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 3 scallions, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of finely ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili oil (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
1 Pour boiling water over the mushrooms until the mushrooms are covered and allow them to soak for 20 minutes, turning the mushrooms over occasionally. It may not seem like a lot but they will grow quite a bit.
After soaking remove any woody ends with a knife. Cut mushrooms into strips. Reserve 1/4 cup of the liquid and mix with the cornstarch. (If using fresh enoki mushrooms set aside as they do not need to soak).
2 Pour boiling water over the lily buds until covered and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Cut the buds crosswise then tear them up into a few bunches.
3 Mix the vinegars and soy sauce together and set aside. Open the can of bamboo shoots, drain well, and cut the shoots lengthwise into strips.
4 Place the chicken broth into a bot and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the tofu, mushrooms, lily buds, bamboo shoots, vinegar mixture, and cornstarch mixture. Mix and bring back to a boil. Once it comes to a boil remove from heat. While stirring the soup slowly pour the egg into the broth in a small steam while stirring the soup allowing the egg to instantly cook and feather into the soup.
5 Add the scallions, white pepper, sesame oil, and chili oil if using. Taste and adjust white pepper, vinegar, and salt to taste. Add cilantro to garnish and for added flavor. Serve immediately.