One of the best reason to keep a few cans of garbanzo beans in the pantry? To make hummus! It’s so easy to make in a food processor, takes all of 5 minutes.
What’s hummus made of? Cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), tahini, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Purée everything, top with some paprika and a swirl of olive oil and voilà, you’re done!
With this few ingredients the quality is important. You can cook your chickpeas from scratch (instructions included at the end of the recipe) or use canned, which is what we are doing here for our quick and easy version. Note that not all canned chickpeas are equal. The brands I have found that are the best tasting are Bush’s and S&W premium. (Of course you can make the chickpeas from scratch if you want; instructions for that are included below.)
Tahini is a paste made with roasted sesame seeds. Sesame is rich in oil and therefore, like any oil, will go rancid over time. So, that half empty can of tahini that has been sitting around in your fridge for a year? Probably not the best tasting anymore, and likely rancid. Taste it before you use it in this hummus, and if it doesn’t taste good, don’t use it. (Throw out any rancid oils, they taste terrible and are bad for you.)
More Tips for making the best hummus
- Process the tahini and olive oil first: when you buy tahini, often the solid part of it is compacted and separated from the oil. If you process it in the food processor first, you’ll be able to start with a creamier base.
- Peel membranes for extra creamy hummus: If you have extra time and you want to make hummus that is extra creamy, peel off the membranes of the cooked chickpeas before you purée them. The best way to do that is work with about 1/2 can of chickpeas at a time, drain them and rub them vigorously between two large paper towels. That will make it much easier to slip off the membranes.
Easy Homemade Hummus RecipePrint
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed and roughly chopped
- 2 15-oz cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 2/3 cup of tahini (roasted, not raw)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil (plus more for garnishing)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- Garnishes: A sprinkling of paprika, a swirl of olive oil, toasted pine nuts, and/or chopped parsley
1 In a food processor, combine the tahini and olive oil and pulse until smooth.
Then add the garbanzo beans, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Process until smooth. Add more salt or lemon juice to taste.
2 Spoon into serving dish, swirl a little olive oil over the top and sprinkle with garnishes—a little paprika, toasted pine nuts, or chopped fresh parsley.
Serve with crackers, raw dip vegetables such as carrots or celery, or with toasted pita bread.
To toast pita bread, cut the pita bread into triangles, brush with olive oil and toast for 10 minutes in a 375°F oven, turning them over half-way through the cooking.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Easy Homemade Hummus on Simply Recipes. Thank you!Print