Light nourishing Italian soup with chicken stock, egg, Parmesan, and ribbons of spinach.
- 4 cups chicken stock (lightly salted)
- 1 large egg
- 4 teaspoons finely grated, lightly packed Parmesan cheese (if you have coarsely grated Parm, grind it up to a finer consistency in a food processor)
- 1 Tbsp panko breadcrumbs (toasted for added flavor) or semolina flour (optional, you can skip if you want, you can also use ground puffed rice if cooking gluten-free)
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- A handful of spinach leaves, sliced into 1/2-inch ribbons (can also use chard, arugula, sorrel, or any tender green)
1 Place stock in a 2-quart saucepan and bring to a simmer.
2 In a medium bowl whisk together the egg, Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs (if using), and black pepper.
3 Once the stock is simmering, stir in the sliced spinach.
4 Pour/scrape the cheese egg mixture into the simmering stock, do not stir. After a few seconds, stir the egg mixture into the soup. Cook at a gentle simmer for another minute. Taste the soup and add more salt and pepper if you wish.