Mushroom risotto with Parmesan cheese, mushrooms, and sweet Italian sausage.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sweet sausage, removed from casings, crumbled
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, diced
- 10 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 cups Madeira (divided, 1/2 cup and 1 cup)
- 6 cups chicken stock (use gluten-free stock if cooking gluten-free)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese (for topping)
1 Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage to the pan, spreading it out in an even layer. Do not stir, but allow to brown on one side for a couple minutes. Then stir and allow to brown a little more. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and oregano and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the Madeira and scrape to deglaze the pan, about 1 minute. Set aside.
2 Heat chicken stock until it is steamy or simmering in a large saucepan and keep warm over low heat.
3 Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice; stir 2 minutes. Add remaining 1 cup Madeira. Cook, stirring constantly until Madeira has been absorbed, about 2 minutes. Ladle in a little hot stock, just enough to barely cover the rice; simmer until almost absorbed, stirring often, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook until rice is just tender and mixture is creamy, adding more stock by ladlefuls, stirring often and allowing most stock to be absorbed before adding more, until rice is tender, but still firm to the bite, about 20-25 minutes.
4 Stir in the sausage and mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese to serve.