Quick and easy macaroni salad with hard boiled egg, roasted red bell pepper, onion, mayonnaise, and paprika.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 2 cups (about 1/2 lb) dry macaroni pasta (use rice or gluten-free pasta for gluten-free version)
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped
- 1 roasted red bell pepper*, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onion or green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
- A generous amount of mayonnaise (1/3 to 1/2 cup)
- Several pinches of paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
* Trader Joes carries a good product, jarred roasted red bell peppers packed in oil and vinegar. We usually use these in recipes calling for roasted bell peppers. Alternatively, you can roast a fresh bell pepper by blackening it over an open flame on a gas range or broiling until the skin blisters on all sides. Remove from heat source, place in paper bag, after a few minutes remove from bag and scrape off the blackened bits. Discard seeds and stem.
1 Cook macaroni, as directed on its package, in at least 2 quarts of salted water (1 teaspoon of salt per quart of water). When cooked through, but still slightly firm (al dente) remove from heat, drain and rinse with cool water until room temperature.
2 While macaroni is cooking, put chopped onions into a small bowl and sprinkle the lemon juice or vinegar over them. This will serve to take the edge off the onions.
2 Combine cooked macaroni, onions, and all other ingredients in a large serving bowl. Adjust seasonings to taste.