Warm potato salad with Yukon Gold potatoes, celery, red onion, olives, parsley, and a simple rice vinegar vinaigrette
You can either cook the potatoes whole, and cut them after they are done (better retention of nutrients) or cook them already cut. My mother prefers to cook them already cut because they cook more evenly this way, and the cooking time is shorter.
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 large), cut into uniform 1/2 to 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup chopped flavorful olives - green or Kalamata
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 Put potatoes into a saucepan, cover with an inch of cold water. Salt the water (about a teaspoon and a half for 2 quarts of water). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain well.
2 Put potatoes in a large serving bowl with the celery, red onion, olives, and parsley. Add the rice vinegar and oil while the potatoes are still warm, so they absorb the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust vinegar and oil to taste.