The dressing recipe makes a little more than you will likely need. So, use about 1/2 of it to start, and add more to taste when you dress the salad.
This salad recipes scales easily for a potluck or picnic.
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 4 cups (1/2 lb) coarsely shredded napa cabbage
- 6 ounces snow peas, sliced into half-inch slices on the diagonal
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (including greens)
- 2/3 cup lightly packed chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar (seasoned or unseasoned)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 clove peeled and minced garlic (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 Toast the almond slivers in stick-free or cast-iron skillet on medium high, stirring frequently until browned. Set aside.
2 Combine cabbage, snow peas, radishes, green onions, cilantro in a large bowl. Can make this step a day or two ahead.
3 In a separate bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, ginger, and cayenne until sugar has dissolved. Whisk in the mayonnaise.
4 When ready to serve, gently combine the dressing and almonds with the cabbage mixture.