This napa cabbage picnic salad combines Chinese napa cabbage, radishes, snow peas, toasted slivered almonds, with a sweet soy mayo dressing.
- 2/3 cup slivered almonds
- 8 cups (1 lb) coarsely shredded napa cabbage
- 12 ounces snow peas, strings removed, rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1 1/3 cups thinly sliced radishes
- 1 1/3 cups thinly sliced green onions (including greens)
- 1 1/3 cups lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 Tbsp rice vinegar (seasoned or unseasoned)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 clove peeled and minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 cup mayonnaise
1 Spread almond slivers out in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Toast in a 350°F oven for 5-10 minutes, until nicely browned. OR toast in stick-free or cast-iron skillet on medium high, stirring frequently until browned. Set aside.
2 Combine cabbage, snow peas, radishes, green onions, cilantro in a large bowl. Can make this step a day or two ahead.
3 In a separate bowl, mix together the rice vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, ginger, and cayenne until sugar has dissolved. Whisk in the mayonnaise.
4 When ready to serve, gently combine the dressing and almonds with the cabbage mixture.