The sauce for these potatoes is very easy to prepare and a wonderful way to cook up some fresh garden tomatoes. The cilantro, cumin, and tomatoes combine to a unique and delicious flavor.
New Potatoes with Cheese and Tomatoes Recipe
- 8 to 12 small red-skinned new potatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 med yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 large green onions, cut in 1-inch lengths
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 Scrub the potatoes; do not peel. Place the potatoes in a large pan, cover with water and boil, covered, until tender when pierced, about 20 minutes. Drain and place in a serving container. Keep warm.
2 Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and green onions and cook until limp. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Stir in the cream, cilantro, oregano, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. While stirring, slowly add the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted.
3 If potatoes are not small, cut them in halves or quarters. Spoon the sauce over the potatoes.