Chicken thighs, pounded thin, marinated in mixture of chopped oranges, onion, garlic, herbs, and chipotle, then quickly pan fried.
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (4 pounds if buying bone-in)
- 6 oranges, peeled and seeded, coarsely chopped (or 2-3 cups fresh squeezed orange juice)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 of a 7-ounce-can of chipotle chili peppers in adobo
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 Tbsp fresh marjoram leaves (or oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried of either)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Chopped fresh parsley and orange slices for garnish
1 In a blender or food processor, combine the chopped oranges, onion, chipotle in adobo, garlic, cilantro, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and salt. Pulse a few times to make a coarse purée.
2 Put boneless chicken thighs between two sheets of wax paper and pound with a meat hammer until an even thickness of about 1/2-inch. Combine the chicken pieces and the orange marinade together either in a bowl or in a ziplock freezer bag. Refrigerate overnight.
3 Heat olive oil in a large cast iron pan on medium high heat. Remove chicken pieces from the marinade, wiping off excess (but not all) marinade. Working in batches, cook the chicken pieces for 5 minutes on each side.
Serve over rice or Spanish rice.
Yield: Serves 6.