Recipe accompanies the recipe for Beef Bouillon Soup from Oxtails and is from a recipe in the December 1993 issue of Gourmet. Once making the bouillon, you can use the cooked oxtail meat to make a delicious oxtail pâté. I love pâtés of all kinds (see Pâté Maison), but they usually have liver in them, which many people don’t like. Oxtail pâté, however, has no liver, and is just made with the rich, flavorful meat of oxtails. If you’ve gone through the trouble to make the oxtail bouillon, making this pâté is a cinch, since you are starting with already cooked oxtails. It takes only a few minutes to prepare with a food processor.
Oxtail Pâté (Pate) RecipePrint
- 3-4 pounds oxtails, cooked*
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 stick (6 Tbsp) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons drained bottled green peppercorns
- 2 Tbsp oxtail bouillon or beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
* To cook the oxtails, follow the instructions on the oxtail beef bouillon recipe. Or, salt the oxtails, then brown them in a little vegetable oil on all sides, place oxtails in a pot, brown a chopped onion, carrot, and celery stalk, add to pot. Cover with water, bring to a low simmer, simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours until the meat is falling off the bone.
1 Carefully pick through and discard the fat and bones from the oxtails. Place the meat in a food processor.
2 Heat 2 Tbsp of butter in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the chopped onions. Cook until translucent and lightly browned, about 5-10 minutes. Add the cooked onions to the oxtail meat in the food processor. Add 4 Tbsp more of butter, the orange juice, peppercorns, bouillon or broth, cloves and salt. Pulse until the mixture is finely minced, but not completely smooth.
3 Press the pâté into a crock or mold of some sort. The pâté will keep several days in the fridge, covered.
Bring to room temperature for serving, and serve with crusty bread or crackers.
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. If you wish to republish this recipe, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and link back to Oxtail Pâté (Pate) on Simply Recipes. Thank you!Print